Diversity in the workplace
EWEB in Feb. 2011 was given the Outstanding Contribution Award by the Eugene/Springfield Chapter of Blacks in
Government for "increasing equity, diversity and opportunity in our community."
In recent years, EWEB has:
- Sponsored multiple six-week "Understanding Racism Study Circles;" many EWEB managers and supervisors have participated
along side community members
- Provided respectful workplace training to more than 98% of its employees
- Created a diversity team that sponsors events and presentations in the organization
- Participated in the local Interagency Diversity and Equity Committee
EWEB has created a Diversity Team to lead the utility's efforts in creating a more diverse
work force and respectful work environment.
The following outlines the Diversity Team's work plan:
To be leaders in helping the organization attract, retain and develop a diverse workforce,
and in creating a culture and climate of inclusion and respect.
Broadly defined, measurable outcomes that move the organization toward the realization of its
- To increase awareness of and support for workforce diversity and cultural competency.
- To assist and support the organization in creating a workforce that mirrors the community
in which we operate and serve.
- To assist and support individuals to help them be successful at EWEB.
- To promote an atmosphere that supports our values of inclusion, diversity and respect.
- To assist and support the organization in surfacing and understanding unintended consequences
of policies and procedures.
Specific, measurable outcomes that relate to the goals.
- To promote recruitment and selection practices that maximize the quality, diversity and
cultural competency of the workforce.
- To serve as a sounding board and advocate for the resolution of diversity issues.
- To encourage and support mentoring through formal and informal systems.
- To expand the number of and participation in events that emphasize respect and inclusion
of multicultural perspectives.
- To help individuals and the organization understand and recognize privilege and bias in the
- To advocate for dealing with cultural incompetence in swift and effective ways.
How the objective will be accomplished. Strategies include, but are not limited to:
- Enhance the visibility and image of the Diversity Team.
- Seek partnership with Human Resources and hiring supervisors to influence recruitment and hiring
- Develop mechanisms to promote diverse participation in EWEB activities.
- Develop tools, resources and information for employees who may have particular needs.
- Promote internship programs and other recruitment outreach efforts.
- Identify and promote diversity and cultural competence training and development
opportunities, particularly in developing leaders.
Email EWEB's Human Resources
department with questions or comments.