Tips for avoiding scams
EWEB routinely receives reports about various scam attempts targeting EWEB customers. Here are some tips to avoid falling victim to a scam:
- Be suspicious of any emails and phone calls that claim to be urgent and require immediate action to prevent shut off of any of your utility services.
If a customer's account is past due, EWEB attempts to notify the customer prior to disconnection with the following notices:
Monthly bill mailed or emailed to customer advising the balance is "Due Upon Receipt."
Final Notice bill mailed to customer's service address or alternate mailing address if provided to EWEB.
Door-Hanger Notice delivered to the service address at risk of being turned off, providing the date of disconnection
if payment is not received.
EWEB may attempt to call customers as a "last effort" to prevent disconnection, but it is not the first attempt, nor guaranteed for those customers who are past due.
Also note, EWEB will only send emails regarding billing information to customers who have enrolled in EWEB's secured e-Billing payment system.
- Consider the payment method. EWEB never asks customers to purchase pre-paid cards ( such as Green Dot, MoneyPak or Vanilla Reload) to pay their utility
bill, nor do EWEB's customer service analysts take payment directly from customers over the phone. If the caller asks you to make a payment using a
pre-paid card or requests your debit/credit card information over the phone, the caller is not with EWEB.
Learn more about how to make a secure payment.
- Do not follow links embedded in emails that threaten to shut off service if you don't make an immediate payment. Use your bookmarked site to visit
EWEB's e-Billing system and login to your account to check your payment status and make secure online payments.
- If in doubt, hang up the phone or delete the email and call EWEB's customer service line at 541-685-7000 or 800-841-5871.
- Report scams attempts to the Attorney General's office by calling the consumer hotline at 877-877-9392 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.